Thursday, March 15, 2012

News and a Warning

Well, things have been busy for me and I've just only rediscovered that I made this blog. Sorry about leaving my followers hanging. I am going to be more attentive from now on, seeing that I now have three little hamsters to use as models and such.

I am going to start this blog entry by introducing my precious dears to you all, and then end it with a warning about that fluffy nesting material and why its so very dangerous. I also promise an up and coming review on different hamster foods.

Now onto the stars of the entry. First up is my lovely short haired mink syrian, Holly. She was brought home shortly before last Christmas, hence her holiday themed name. She loves to come out and sniff at me, and is always eager to get a special little treat.

Holly





She is just a little dear, and I wouldn't have her any other way. Now, moving on to my newest hamster additions, the Tsukinos. They are roborovski hamsters and the tiniest species of hamster in the world. They are named Chibiusa and Kousagi and I love them to bits, as they are so gosh darned cute.

Chibiusa and Kousagi

Chibiusa is the bolder of the two, always daring to venture out and see what is happening every time I do something to their cage during the day. She can be differentiated from her bolder attitude and the fact that Kousagi has a dark frown spot on her back. She also nests under the pile of shredded paper and coconut husk I put in there for nesting material.

Kousagi, on the other hand, is the shyer of the two and has her nest in the right front corner of the cage, deep within the bedding. Sometimes I see her, sometimes I don't. It depends on how bold she is and how much she wants to venture out to stretch her legs.

Next time I'll share both Holly and the robo girls' cages with you. 

And now onto that warning about the fluffy and soft nesting material. While it may seem nice and cozy, its anything but. Actually. the hamster may pouch the material, and because the fibers are so small and snag so easily, they might get stuck in cheek pouches, causing an infection to occur. They can also be accidentally ingested by the hamster and cause a blockage along its digestive tract that is almost always lethal, if not directly, indirectly though dehydration from diarrhea and malnutrition. I know of a poor ham who went though just that. Poor dear.

So now you know not to use that kind of nesting material ever again. Instead, you can just rip up some toilet paper and give your hamster that.

Well, that's all for now, so see ya later!!

 As always, stay savvy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment